“Hey, I’m not trying to be rude but there’s no such thing as a gay Christian”

Posted: May 7, 2015 in LGBT Issues
Tags:

I was recently (today) messaged on our wonderful meetup group for the LGBT Christian Fellowship @ ST John’s with this message. It is a very curious message to be honest because it makes certain assumptions.

Basically this statement says that Jesus love and sacrifice is only for people who identify as straight – I, and my friends who love him and serve him, despite our best efforts will never be good enough (actually, no one is good enough for God, we all rely on the sacrifice of Christ). The person making this statement firmly slams the doors to the kingdom in my face.

This statement judges me, it says that I am somehow living a life displeasing to God, without even giving me the chance to defend myself or to look to Christ. It actually is a terrible accusation that I am doing something so terrible that God can never accept me. Which is ofcourse baloney. Then I get “Oh if your repent of being gay then you can become a Christian”.

Following Christ is a journey. Sure I can repent of having an embarrassing bald spot at the top of my head, but it’s still there.

Could it be that God is somehow less worried about who you love, and more about how you live. Normally I think people who make this statement are struggling with their own sexuality, don’t lie to yourself, don’t lie to God, he knows you and he loves you as you are. Begin a walk with him and he will help you live better.

I always take this kind of statement very personally, actually it makes my quite upset that someone thinks they can judge me and they don’t even know me. Jesus loves us so much, nothing, nothing is impossible with God, even so much that LGBT people can find his love whilst being rejected by the church.

Yes, I’m gay and I follow Christ, yes I live alone with my cat, and yet, somehow this person is absolutely convinced that people like me are somehow unacceptable to God, I spend hours and hours serving others in Christ’s name but guess what, because I’m gay it probably means nothing. I think my friend, when you get to heaven, you might be surprised at who is also there.. you never know… he might even let me in!

Advertisements
Comments
  1. Sean says:

I’m not trying to start an argument or fight, but there isn’t such thing as a gay Christian, nor a disabled Christian, nor an adulterous Christian, nor an insect Christian. Your either a Christian or non Christian.

Now yes! Jesus loves everyone for who they are. God loves everybody! God love is unconditional but a relationship with God is conditional.
    Romans 3:28
    All have fallen short of the Glory of God.

The bible shows us how to get right with God. Anyone reading this post homosexual or not, let’s study the bible to see if your right with God. We need to be in each other’s lives to help each other get to heaven.

• Paul C says:

**BUT** I will add I think it’s so important that we reach out to those who are rejected by the church – especially when we feel included in that. LGBT people need to know the love of Christ and that is why my username is set to what it is – not saying that I’m special. Just identification.

We are all equal before Christ. Some just need to hear it though πŸ™‚

• Sean says:

I agree that nobody is better than anyone. I’m not better than some with a homosexual background, I’m no better than a murderer, I’m not better than a child molester. We all sin, but God has a standard and that standard is the same for all. No matter who you are, what you do, or how you feel. πŸ™‚

2. Deri says:

I think Sean is winning here, so he can be smug in his righteousness. As a T in LGBT, I just won’t be welcome in christian heaven and I’m not sure I want to be there among the Seans. I spent too much time in this life following the rules and trying to fit the “standard”. Well now I am me and loving it, I won’t repent of it. It would be silly to try- stick the bits back on and buy a black suit? If being xian is being like Sean then I’m glad I’m out of it.

• Sean says:

Look my friend I don’t want you to be like me, I want you to be like Jesus. You got to ask yourself how much do you love God?

You are welcomed to come to church. πŸ™‚ I want to invite you to church. I want to study the bible with you. In the end it’s not at all about what I think, it’s about what the bible says. I want to help people and I want people to helps to abide by it and live a Godly life.

3. Deri says:

Sean, I live in Turkey among a very respectful and kind Muslim community. I have not yet read the Holy Koran but I don’t think I can say that I would join Islam – there’s nutcases in that religion too. It would be difficult to accept your invitation. I did study your bible, two years at London Bible College and a lot of time following up arguments on this page and other sites. Your book says “Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. ” And I have tried to find a spiritual home in many churches, often greeted at the door by seemingly kind people (in sheeps clothing) but too often suffering the bites of condemnation (from the same people in their true colours as ravenous wolves). No Sean, I simply don’t believe in you, and as you are a witness for your lord, then I don’t believe in him either.

• Sean says:

My friend you are totally right about the false witness. The bible says it so it’s true. Plus you’ve witnessed it yourself. I’m not asking you to believe in me just in the bible. I can’t just imagine what you’ve been though and what has happened to you but I hope that the bad and false experience of Christianity doesn’t scare you away from the truth.

4. Am I a gaychristian or am I a Christian who is gay?